Update Benghazi Cover Up: New and Credible Witnesses Dispute CIA Account and Claims on Military Capability; Congressman Mike Kelly Vows to Hold Obama Administration Accountable
Earlier today in Benghazi a bomb went off in front of a police station injuring police officers. Also this morning, David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Sunday, and attempted to hold the line on the official Obama administration account of what occured. Chris Wallace of Fox News held his feet to the fire, asked tough questions, and demanded answers many are waiting for.
The first six minutes of the interview pertain to the Benghazi cover up, the remainder of the interview pertains to the election.
In the latest update in the Benghazi cover up, this morning new and disturbing details are emerging from credible eye witnesses to the attack. Eye witness accounts contradict the official version of events as presented earlier by the CIA.
Witnesses who were present that night in Benghazi, including civilian British and American security forces, have also contradicted the official statement that there was no military force in the region that could have assisted and halted the attack. The witnesses say that the Al Qaeda linked terrorist group Ansar al-Sharia, were settting up road blocks and moving in heavy weaponry hours before the attack was initiated.
They also dispute the official statements that there were no armed drones that could have struck the terrorists with a precision strike, and point to additional multiple military options within the immediate region that were not utilized. One witness said the Blue Mountain Security chief stated, “the situation here is very serious, we have a problem.”
The witnesses describe their frustation, as by the hour, the threat loomed larger. They comunicated via cell phone and radio to colleagues in Benghazi before the attack, and they describe a panicked Libyan force that was intended to guard the Consulate as melting away into the night when the attack occured. Earlier evidence indicates the Libyan militia intended to guard the consulate may have been infiltrated by the terrorists believed responsible for the attack.
Fox News Latest Report, quoting in part:
Both American and British sources say multiple roadblocks set up by fighters believed to be with Ansar al-Sharia were in place in Benghazi several hours before the 9:40 p.m. timeline and that communications also alluded to “heavily armed troops showing up with artillery.” Fox News was told by both American and British contacts who were in Benghazi that night that the CIA timeline rolled out this past week is only “loosely based on the truth” and “doesn’t quite add up………
As details emerge of serious security issues before the attack on Sept. 11, Fox News is also beginning to hear more frustration from sources both on the ground in Benghazi and in the U.S. Multiple British and American sources insist there were other capabilities in the region and are mystified why none were used. Fox News was told there were not only armed drones that monitor Libyan chemical weapon sites in the area, but also F-18’s, AC-130 aircraft and even helicopters that could have been dispatched in a timely fashion.”
The Pentagon disputes this. Security sources who were present before and during the raid who could have aided also question why they were not called to help. You can read the entire article here.
General Jack Keane is a retired four star general and former Vice Chief of Staff of the Army. This morning he discussed why he believes Obama and the entire national security team had to have previously known of the pending danger, and gives his assessment. He has also stated it is “absolutely appalling” that it has been two months and we still have no answers. You can view a video of this mornings interview and his assessment here.
Senator John McCain and 53 legislators including Congressman Mike Kelly (R-PA), intend to form a new committee to investigate.
Congressman Kelly also appeared on Fox. He vowed that those responsible would be held accountable even if they had to be dragged “kicking and screaming” into committee hearings. Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) also spoke this morning, and discussed the lack of effort on the part of the Obama administration to request the Tunisian government to allow interogations by the FBI with Ali Ani al Harzi, the suspect who has been identified on camera as being present during the atttack. He was arrested last week, and is now in custody in Tunisia.
Following the FBI’s recent visit to Benghazi to investigate at the Consulate, Foreign Policy Magazine sent in journalists to the site, who uncovered additional evidence not found by the FBI.
Following his arrest last week and the failure of the Obama administration to obtain permission for the FBI to enter Libya and interrogate the suspect, legislators intervened to secure permission. Due to the efforts of Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Senator Chambliss, and other legislators investigating the attack, the FBI was finally granted permission to interview the suspect. They departed for Tunisia this past Friday to interrogate him under limited conditions imposed by the Tunisian government.
Formal Senate Committee hearings are slated to begin on November 15, 2012. Republican Senators John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and Kelly Ayotte, are calling for a new special bipartisan committee to investigate the Benghazi cover up. The committee may include Represenatives from the House, and multiple executive agencies and legislative committees. McCain says “public outcry will lead the charge”.
“I swear to this country that this committee will get to the bottom of this if it takes dragging the administration kicking and screaming into a committee meeting to testify, that’s what we are going to do” ~Congressman Mike Kelly (R-PA), videotaped interview, Time for the truth: Lawmakers seeking answers on Libya, November 4, 2012