Update Benghazi Cover Up: House and Senate to Convene Hearings, New Suspects Come to Light
On November 13th, 2012 Foreign Policy reports that a hearing behind closed doors of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, led by Chairman John Kerry (D-MA), will take place. They also report that the State Department made evidence available for Senators to review during a time when they were out of town. This report is frequently updated, see their report for the latest.
On November 15, 2012, two official but separate hearings will also convene. The Senate Intelligence Committee will convene to review the case in a closed door session.
The House Intelligence Committee will also convene on the same day to review the case. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, CIA Director David Petraeus and Matt Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, are among those expected to testify.
You can read about these two hearings here.
More developments have occured since the last update and here is a breakdown of the latest evidence.
*Note: Because this topic is ongoing with frequent updates, I have created a separate page that contains an index of all previous posts. The index includes a timeline, and a description of the evidence as presented in the post. Like everyone else I am trying to keep up with this story but at times run behind. If your not sure whats going on, or don’t know if you missed something, you might want to check it out. It’s also possible I may have missed something, so please don’t consider the information there as the bottom line.
Update on the Latest Evidence
Last Friday on November 3rd, it was reported a classified cable came to light that showed weeks before the attack the employees of the Consulate felt the threat was serious, and they were considering relocating and moving in with the CIA at the nearby annex. When first reported all that was known for certain is that the cable was sent to the office of Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton. Partial quote:
The U.S. mission in Benghazi, at an “emergency meeting” less than a month before the Sept. 11 attack, drafted a contingency plan to suspend operations as security deteriorated — and in the near-term, recommended that consulate operations be moved to the CIA annex about a mile away, according to a classified cable reviewed by Fox News.
The State Department’s senior representative at the consulate told those at the Aug. 15 meeting that the security situation was “trending negatively” and reported “this daily pattern of violence would be the ‘new normal’ for the foreseeable future, particularly given the minimal capabilities” of the Libyan security forces…..
The warnings reflected a grave concern among officials on the ground that the Libyan militia charged with protecting the consulate had been compromised, perhaps even infiltrated by extremists.
To learn more about this cable as it was initially reported, read here.
In another article published on November 5th, 2012, we learned more about the cable than was known two days prior. Expert Intelligence sources who spoke to Fox about it say that both the White House and The National Security Council would have known about it. Quoting:
Current and former intelligence officials tell Fox News that a classified State Department cable sent Aug. 16 — and which said the Benghazi consulate could not defend against a “coordinated attack” — would certainly have gone to the White House National Security Council staff.
“The National Security Council sees everything,” a former senior intelligence official told Fox News. “The staff are sitting on top of all the cable traffic which means the national security advisor (Tom Donilon) and deputy national security advisor (Denis McDonough) have some explaining to do. If Libya was of interest to this administration, the national security staff saw it.”
In this article, it is theorized that the uprisings of the Middle East as a whole were organized by Al Qaeda linked terrorists, in particular, Ansar Al Sharia . Quote:
As Fox News was first to report at the end of October, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., citing his knowledge of the investigation, said that the Benghazi attack is linked to an identical attack in Tunisia on the embassy and the American school two days later by the same network Ansar al-Sharia.
You can read this article in it’s entirety here. Fox also was the first to report that on or about September 20, 2012, the first to be considered a legitimate suspect was Sufyan bin Qumu, an Ansar Al-Sharia terrorist and former Gitmo detainee who had been released. You can read about him here where there is also a link to the Defense Department file on Sufyan Bin Qumu.
New Al Qaeda Linked Suspects Are Being Investigated
In addition to the new cable which adds to the current and extensive ominous paper trail, it is being reported today that there are new suspects come to light since the recent arrest of a terrorist named Ali Ani al-Harzi. He is currently being interrogated by the FBI in Tunisia. There is also a suspect from Iraq, and now several more from Egypt. Most or all of them appear to be linked also to Ansar Al-Sharia. Ansar Al-Sharia is loosely linked with Al Qaeda. Quote:
Fox News is told that there are between two- and three-dozen suspects actively being investigated at any one time in connection with the Benghazi attack. The suspect list is fluid, drawn from intelligence ranging from intercepts to witness accounts, with new names being added and dropped on a regular basis.
The majority of the suspects were described to Fox News as “locals” who come from Libya and are followers of the group Ansar al-Shariah, which wants to establish an Islamic state with adherence to strict Shariah law.
To read more about the current suspects and their associated terror links, click here to read the whole article.
Military Leaders Demand Action
As shared last week, Retired Admiral James Lyons is the former commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet and senior U.S. military representative to the United Nations. He has sharply condemned the lack of military support in a previous article. This past Monday, the day before the election, he appeared on Fox. He declared the actions or lack therof by the Obama adminstration may be criminal, that there is definately a cover up, and he demanded answers:
Other senior military veterans with Special Operations Speaks also want answers. Special Operations Speaks has released a statement, and you will find it here:
Brigadier General Joseph S. Stringham, US Army (Ret.) is the Chief Executive Officer of Special Operations Speaks. Like everyone else, as far as Special Operations Speaks is concerned, whether Obama won the election or not is irrelevant in regards to this investigation. They are advocating for an independant investigation to be carried out by a special prosecutor. They are requesting signers to join them in their petition to demand this investigation. To learn more, see their link immediately above.
Did the Media Fail to Cover Benghazi So Obama Could Win the Election?
In the aftermath of the election, Rich Noyes has written an excellent opinion piece titled “Five ways the mainstream media tipped the scales in favor of Obama”.
Noyes addresses the cover up and he notes how the media refused to report on it from the beginning, thereby helping Obama to win the election. He gives four other reasons for Obama’s victory, but sums up and states the following for reason number four:
“Instead of an “October Surprise,” the networks engineered an “October Suppression” — keeping a lid on the boiling Benghazi story until Election Day. Who knows how voters might have reacted if the media had covered this story as tenaciously as they did Romney’s “47% gaffe”?
Many agree with Noyes. It is hard not to. It is not likely that the majority of American people would have voted for Obama had they known the full scope of this story.
Like Rich Noyes and many others, Pat also feels that the media bias played an extreme role, and failed the nation by doing so. It is difficult to say how the election would have gone had this story been covered. Under the circumstances, we will never know.
Lou Dobbs and his guest panel appear to be among those who agree.
In the following video they consider the possible evidence provided by CBS that this may indeed be the case, as they too explore whether or not the mainstream media has aided Obama in the cover up.
They discuss “why” CBS might have withheld Obama’s comments during his “60 Minutes” interview until just hours before Election Day.
Walid Phares states that Americans are in a “media blackout”:
Congressman Pete King (R-NY) is on the House Intelligence Committee which is to convene on the 15th to hear the case, and he is also Chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security.
Today Chairman King spoke with Megyn Kelly of Fox News about the pending hearing of next week:
“Somebody high up in the administration made the decision that no assistance (outside our Tripoli embassy) would be provided, and let our people be killed. The person who made that callous decision needs to be brought to light and held accountable.” ~Retired Admiral James Lyons, former commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet and senior U.S. military representative to the United Nations